America's Night Out Against Crime! Every year - the First Tuesday in August.
It is that time of year again to start thinking and planning your National Night Out Event. To register your event go to coptalklive.com then go to the National Night Out pulldown and click on register. The first fifty (50) events to register online will get a free large one (1) topping pizza from Papa John's.
Last year we took 3rd place in the National competition with 41,800 people pre-registered at 165 events. Our goal for this year is 50,000 people pre-registered at 200 NNO events.
This year we will be working with Channel One Food Shelf and hope to donate 2 ton of food. We are encouraging every event to have a food donation barrel and the next day, take the food to the nearest Fire Department Station for Channel One to pick up. 3600+ households per month rely on the food shelf. As gas prices go up, so does the demand for the food shelf services. At the present time, Channel One is seeing 200 new households per month requesting assistance.
NATIONAL NIGHT OUT is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
What Can You Do?
- Talk to neighbors and organize a picnic.
- Turn on porch lights on the day of National Night Out
- Learn more about starting a neighborhood watch by calling the Crime Prevention Unit at (507) 328-6890.
- Be outside to meet neighbors and turn off crime and drugs.
Looking for the Perfect Neighbor and Neighborhood?
As part of the National Night Out effort this year, the Rochester Police Department will be giving awards to the following:
- Neighbor of the Year
- Neighborhood of the Year
- Neighborhood CPTED Project of the Year
- Neighborhood Block Watch of the Year
- Neighborhood Hero of the Year
- Neighborhood Religious Watch of the Year
- Neighborhood Crime Fighting Event of the Year
- Neighborhood Crime Prevention Project of the Year
- Neighborhood Crime Fighter of the Year
- Neighborhood Apartment Watch of the Year
Deadline for entries will be July 24th, 2016. Send entries to:
Darrel Hildebrant, Rochester Police Department, Crime Prevention Unit, 101 SE 4th St. Rochester, MN 55904-3761 Phone: (507) 328-6890